Happy Friday! I’m back with another Trend Watch Challenge that I can’t wait to share with you. It seems like everywhere I look lately, I’m seeing fun and dynamic backgrounds and photo mats created with strips of paper and washi tape, so this month, I’m challenging you to give this a try, too!
I gave this tried and true trend a shot on this layout about the Oscar party I attend each year at a local theater, and I love how the horizontal lines I created with scraps of patterned paper intersect with my vertical photo booth strip. All those lines created by the strips lead the viewer’s eye right to the itty bitty images of my friend and me hamming it up for the camera. The bold colors and patterns I chose also help to add visual interest to my page, since such a large portion of the page is taken up with a mostly black photo and the large black and white event ticket.
Once I stuck down all the paper strips (in a way that pays homage to last month’s “half and half” challenge), the rest of the layout came together so easily as I added black, white and gold embellishments and splatters.
The possibilities are practically endless with this trend. Here are just a few ideas for how to mix it up:
- The branding strips from some manufacturers’ patterned papers are a great source for this look. Sometimes they have their own unique design, so I save them up for projects just like this.
- Go vertical, horizontal, diagonal, or even criss-cross or weave your strips on your page.
- You can line up strips so they are exactly straight, or you can create more energy (or even a more chaotic look) by varying their size and placement. On my page, I stuck down strips of the same width so they are just slightly offset from each other.
- Border punches or pre-made border strips and stickers can add lots of visual interest to your “strippy” creations.
- Try hand cutting or even tearing your paper strips for a more organic look. This could work well on a page about nature, or when the story you are telling is not so neat and tidy.
- Play with color. Go monochromatic, choose two or three colors that complement your photos, or span the rainbow!
- Go wild with washi tape! It couldn’t get any easier than laying down strip after strip of patterned tape to create a quick and impactful background.
I’d love to see you give this challenge a try! All through the month of March, upload a project to the gallery on this post. Just log into your free ALP account to upload an image below (click “Register” at the top of the page if you are new to this site). You can also share your projects on Instagram using the hashtag #alptrendwatch in addition to the usual #awesomeladies #feministscrapbooking and #theawesomeladiesproject hashtags. Feel free to tag me (@scrappylikeafox) in your post so I see your creations right away!
Have you spotted a scrappy trend while surfing blogs, galleries, or Instagram? I’d love for you to tell me what you see. It could be a theme, motif, product, technique, design trend — anything! Send me a message in the Awesome Ladies Community (@scrappylikeafox) so we can chat about it, and it might end up as a future challenge here at The Awesome Ladies Project.
[rtmedia_gallery global=”false” context=”post” media_type=”photo” uploader=”true”]