In today’s digital age, taking selfies has become a huge part of our lives. From social media platforms to scrapbooks, selfies are everywhere. But have you ever wondered why selfies matter and how they can be a powerful tool for self-expression and feminist empowerment? On this week’s episode of the Crafty Ass Female podcast, and here in this blog post, we explore the significance of selfies, delve into the feminist perspective surrounding them, and provide practical tips for embracing selfies, even if you’re not accustomed to taking them.
The Power of Selfies:
Selfies have transformed the way we capture and share our experiences. With a simple click, we can document moments, emotions, and memories, asserting our presence and agency in the world. Selfies are not merely superficial images; they have the potential to be empowering acts of self-representation and self-assertion. They say, “I exist, and I’m taking up this space.”
How We Present Ourselves to the World
The act of taking a selfie allows us to control how we present ourselves to the world, breaking away from traditional modes of representation that often exclude marginalized groups. Selfies enable individuals to redefine beauty standards, challenge societal norms, and assert their identities.
In the episode, we emphasized that selfies can be a tool for empowerment, allowing individuals, especially women, to define their own beauty and celebrate their unique qualities. Selfies challenge the notion that beauty should conform to a narrow and unrealistic standard, and instead promote inclusivity and self-acceptance. They allow us to showcase our authentic selves.
Giving Yourself Grace
Self-compassion is essential to getting comfortable with your selfie process. It’s common to feel self-conscious when taking selfies, especially in a society that often scrutinizes and judges appearance. However, practicing self-love and embracing your unique features can help you overcome these insecurities. Remember that beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, and forms, and your selfie is a powerful tool for challenging the dominant narratives and redefining beauty on your own terms.
So, let’s take a step forward, embrace the power of selfies, and join the movement of self-representation and empowerment. Whether you’re participating in the Thursday3 movement, scrapbooking your selfies, or simply taking a moment to capture your authentic self, know that each selfie you take is a small act of defiance against the limitations imposed by societal norms. Let your selfies celebrate your individuality, a statement of self-love, and a testament to the feminist power inherent in this simple act of self-expression.
Selfies and Feminism:
But why are selfies considered feminist? The answer lies in the transformative power of self-representation. Historically, women have been subjected to objectification and limited representation in media and popular culture. Selfies, however, provide a platform for us to take ownership of our image and challenge societal expectations. By taking selfies and sharing them on our own terms, we reclaim our bodies, identities, and narratives.
Reclaiming the Narrative:
Historically, the representation of women in media has often been objectified and controlled by societal norms. However, selfies provide a platform for women to reclaim their narrative and redefine beauty standards. By taking control of their image and sharing it on their own terms, women can challenge societal expectations and promote body positivity and self-acceptance.
Subverting the Male Gaze:
Selfies offer a unique opportunity to subvert the traditional male gaze, where women have often been portrayed as objects of desire. Through selfies, women can capture their authentic selves, express their individuality, and present a multidimensional image that defies narrow stereotypes.
Self-Love and Empowerment:
Selfies encourage self-love and self-expression, empowering individuals to embrace their uniqueness and celebrate their achievements. In a world that often undermines women’s worth, selfies can be a powerful tool for boosting self-confidence and encouraging self-acceptance.
Overcoming Selfie Shyness:
If you’re not accustomed to taking selfies or feel awkward about it, don’t worry—embracing selfies is a journey that anyone can embark on. I suggest starting small and taking selfies in private. Experimenting with different angles, lighting, and expressions will help you find your comfort zone and allow you to gain confidence in front of the camera. Remember, there’s no right or wrong way to take a selfie—what matters
Here are some tips to help you get started:
Start Small: Begin by taking selfies in private, and exploring different angles, lighting, and expressions. Experimenting with different poses and settings will help you find your comfort zone.
Practice Self-Compassion: Remember that everyone has insecurities and that self-love takes time. Be kind to yourself and focus on highlighting your unique features and qualities in your selfies.
Find Inspiration: Look for diverse representations of beauty and self-expression on social media platforms. Follow accounts that promote body positivity, self-acceptance, and diverse perspectives. Seeing others confidently share their selfies can inspire and empower you to do the same. The #Thursday3 hashtag is a great follow for selfie inspiration.
Participating in Thursday3:
Thursday3 is a weekly selfie challenge that I’ve been hosting for almost a decade. It’s an opportunity to reflect on your week through a selfie and three things that are going on in your life right now. With Thursday3, you can develop a deeper understanding of yourself and your experiences, and get some great selfie practice in each week.
Here’s how to get started:
- Snap a selfie. Take a selfie as you think about what’s going on in your right now life. Remember that a picture is worth a thousand words, and selfies are no exception! Think about what you’re trying to capture when you take your selfie.
- Jot down 3 things. What is going on in your right now life? Write down three things happening in your life right now. Serious, silly, fun, informational – whatever you feel like writing down. They can be related to your to-do list, goals, achievements, challenges, or anything that captures your attention.
- Share and connect: Share your Thursday3 experience on social media (Instagram is where it all started) or on the ALP app, where we have a Thursday3 thread supportive online communities. Engage in conversations and celebrate the diverse perspectives and stories shared by others.
Moreover, selfies provide a sense of community and solidarity. With our Thursday3 selfie challenge, I encourage people to share a selfie, and three right now things about their lives. It’s part of the broader ALP community, where we foster a supportive online environment where people can connect and uplift each other.
When you take a Thursday3, you’re not only embracing your self-worth, saying that you’re here, and documenting your life – you are also contributing to a collective celebration of diverse beauty and experiences.
Scrapbooking Your Selfies:
Scrapbooking is (in my opinion) one of the best things that you can do with your selfies. If you’re new to scrapbooking with selfies, no worries – we’ve got you covered.
Here are some ideas for incorporating your selfies into your scrapbook:
- Introspective Pages: Create pages that reflect your personal journey, growth, and self-discovery. Include your favorite selfies alongside written reflections, affirmations, and milestones. This is one of my favorite things to do with my selfies.
- Pages About You: Create pages to celebrate your achievements, passions, and interests. Incorporate selfies that capture moments of success, joy, or creativity, along with the stories that you want to tell.
- Thursday3 Pages: Create pages dedicated to your Thursday3 selfies and your three right now things. Arrange your selfies and whatever you wrote down for the week. Add your favorite supplies to help tell the mini-stories. These are great pages to help you dive into finding your own personal scrapbook style.
- Book of Me: Consider creating a dedicated “Book of Me” scrapbook, filled with selfies and stories that define who you are. Embrace your uniqueness and let your creativity flow as you curate your personal narrative. Learn more about our Book of Me courses here at the ALP’s Feminist Scrapbook School.
Selfie Photo Shoot:
To take your selfies to the next level — organize a dedicated selfie photo shoot. It’s a great way to practice your selfie photography, understand your selfie style, and get some photographs of yourself that you really love.
How to create your own selfie photo shoot:
- Find a Location: Choose a location that reflects your personality or interests—a vibrant outdoor spot, a cozy corner of your home, or a place that holds sentimental value.
- Set the Scene: Decorate the space with props, lighting, and elements that resonate with you. Get creative and infuse your personality into the surroundings.
- Express Yourself: Experiment with different poses, angles, and expressions. Feel free to try new things and step out of your comfort zone.
- Bring a Friend: Invite a trusted friend to join you in the photo shoot. Their presence can provide support, encouragement, and even new ideas for capturing unique shots.
Selfies are a powerful form of self-expression, allowing us to reclaim our stories and challenge societal norms. By embracing selfies, we can foster self-love, celebrate our unique beauty, and promote feminist empowerment. Whether you’re just starting or feeling hesitant, remember that taking selfies is a personal journey. Embrace the process, be kind to yourself, and capture moments reflecting your authentic self and stories.
So, pick up your phone, strike a pose, and let your selfies tell your story—one click at a time!
- The broad media representation of selfies
- The absolute best example of this is the Time Magazine archive of Selfies content, which ran from 2013-2016 – https://time.com/tag/selfies/
- Selfies through time – https://jonnathancoleman.medium.com/10-momentous-moments-in-the-history-of-the-selfie-169d7183c21d
- Thursday3 – https://theawesomeladiesproject.com/projects/thursday3/ and on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/thursday3/?hl=en
- Digital Scrapbooking – Check out Canva! – https://partner.canva.com/7EgOy