It’s a new month, so it’s time for another Trend Watch Challenge here at The Awesome Ladies Project! This month, I’m highlighting a hot trend that’s right up geometric-loving alley. Triangles!
Triangles have played a supporting role for a long time as photo corners, arrows, and banner flags on scrapbook pages, but lately, they’ve been taking center stage as the stars of pages — pieced together on page foundations and backgrounds, as bold designs on patterned paper, and on stamps and sheets of puffy stickers. Triangles are so versatile in their many types and the ways they can be arranged to create interesting patterns and shapes. There are so many possibilities for playing with them on the page!
On this layout about my mom’s stuffing recipe, I arranged triangles punched from patterned papers to create a foundation for my title at the top and bottom of the page.
As much as I like big triangles, I had the most fun playing with the tiny triangle stickers in my stash. I went a little crazy with them and sprinkled them all over the page, and I love the result!
Now, it’s your turn!
I’d love to see you get creative with triangles. Here are some fun ways to give this trend a try:
- Go classic and use triangles as photo corners! They work great on photos, on layers, or right over the corner of the background.
- Arrange triangles into a pattern to create a cool, paper-pieced background on the page. It’s up to you whether you want to leave some gaps or fill it all in!
- Use tiny triangles anywhere you might typically add enamel dots or other small embellishments.
- Cut your photos into triangles.
- Use triangles to represent mountains, trees, or pennant banner flags.
- Place triangles strategically to lead the eye toward photos, journaling, or other elements.
To play along with this challenge, just upload a project to the Awesome Ladies Project (in your personal gallery) and share the link in the comments on this post. Just log into your free ALP account and visit your personal gallery on your profile page (click “Register” at the top of the page if you are new to this site).
We’d also love it if you share your projects on Instagram using the hashtag #alptrendwatch in addition to the usual #awesomeladies #feministscrapbooking and #theawesomeladiesproject hashtags. Feel free to tag me (@scrappylikeafox) in your post so I see your creations right away!
Have you spotted a scrappy trend while surfing blogs, galleries, or Instagram? Let me know about it! It could be a theme, motif, product, technique, design trend — anything! Send me a message in the Awesome Ladies Community (@scrappylikeafox), and it might end up as a future challenge here at The Awesome Ladies Project.